Thursday, July 21, 2011

Foot Work

Right now I'm spending more time on doing minor parts, as I save up the cash to get the last few parts I need for the R/C work to be done.

Center Ankle Lock -
I completed the work on the center ankle locks, and they are definitely holding the foot in the proper position.  I'm going to have to modify them slightly to get the foot shell in place as I finish building that, but I don't expect that to be a major issue.






Center Foot Shell -

I started cutting out the center foot shell.  I'm still trying to figure out if I want to make it a removable shell or just glue it to the wheel support structure.  I think I'm going to work from the "make it removeable" aspect, as I can change my mind easily enough afterwards.







Main Foot shells -

I've also been working on fleshing out the rest of the outside of the main foot shells.  They are coming along nicely, and I've done some preliminary sanding on them to clean up some of the edges.  As you can see, I've gone with a similar idea to Calvin's door approach, although I'm guessing I'm going to modify it to be more like the DaveE center foot plans than the door that Calvin currently has in place.
On Calvin's design the wheel cavity is larger, and thus the 1mm detail area that makes the door is stronger from the 3mm around it.   I'm still having to play with this area, though.  I've also been working on the top of the shell, and getting it fleshed in an attached.  I'm learning more camphoring techniques that are working really well, so overall the process is going well, although getting all the parts just the right size is very tricky.
 
The Battery box side is being tricky because of the curve.  Because I have plenty of 1mm sitting at the house, I think I'm going to try warming up a section in hot water before looking to get .5mm to work on the curve.  That said, I'll work with what makes sense.  I did add an access hole to the top of the shell on the battery box side, as I really like how the bolt is working for me there.
 It should be covered by the battery box, and if not it should be close enough to not have to stress on it.  I can reach the other side of the bolt with a wrench through the access door, so removing the foot from the ankle shouldn't be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment