Sunday, April 3, 2011

Getting a "Leg" up

This week has been dedicated to getting the legs built.  I spent a lot of time working on the parts this week, and with the tools I mentioned in my last post, things have been moving a lot easier.  The one thing that I was concerned about, though, was the support beams in the leg.  The plans call to reinforce the legs, but I thought they could use something different than just a few reinforcement strips.  What I did was add another brace for the leg tube, that was joined the top segment of the leg.  This way the stress that would normally be isolated to where the leg meets the shoulders should be shared with the leg tube, and balanced through the whole leg.  Time will tell if this improvement helps or not.  At this point I need to work on the 1mm parts and place the top onto the leg to finish this first one up.







Close up of the Reinforcments More shots of my  modifications






The nearly completed Leg The bottom of the leg






Side shot Leg with the top on (but not attached)


The way things look right now, I should get the 2nd leg to the point where the top is ready to be put on by next weekend.  My personal goal is to have the legs and shoulders done by the end of April, and if I can keep this kind of pace I think it's doable.

This week also marked the first time that I ordered resin detail parts.  I have an email out to JediKeith to see about getting the resin details for the dome in the near-ish future.  I also am getting in on a run for the power distribution panel.  Before long I'll need to order the dome drive, and drive motors.

Things are definitely getting exciting!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, when adding multiple images to a post, Blogger is not all that intuitive. I'll have to see about a better way to handle this going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! That looks good Brian, You really been working. Can't wait to see it painted.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a nice start on those legs! You are always invited to join us at The Droid Builder's Club at www.droidbuilders.com and post your progress!

    ReplyDelete